Akira Uchida Concert: silk road
Date(s) : Saturday, June 11, 2022
Hara Museum ARC is proud to present a concert by Akira Uchida. Not only does Uchida play a variety of musical instruments, he is also engaged in a wide range of unique activities such as sound tuning, instrument making and sound workshops. For this concert, Uchida will give a special performance playing a clavichord that he made himself within the museum after closing hours. The clavichord, a keyboard instrument that was invented in the 14th century, produces a sound that is more subtle and delicate than the human voice. We invite you to bathe in the serene sea of sound of the clavichord against the beauty of the setting sun.
The clavichord is an instrument that originated in the West and was born in the 14th century. The fact that I have constructed this instrument with an East Asian world view makes us aware of the connection between the past, present, and future, the horizontal axis (place) and the vertical axis (time) and all things that exist without language. The delicate sound of the clavichord invites you into an abstract world of experience where I hope you will discover something of yourself. -Akira Uchida-
After studying the saxophone at a music college, Uchida studied piano tuning and instrument making under experts in those fields. Playing clavichords that he has made himself, he gives concerts in Japan and abroad. He also holds “sound workshops” that teach how to interact with various sounds from the viewpoint of sound tuning. Central to all of his activities is to see the world from the viewpoint of a musical instrument maker, a sound tuner and a performer. akira-uchida.jp
Saturday, June 11, 2022
16:30 Museum closes at the normal closing time.
17:00 Museum reopens. Ticket-holders may view the current exhibition and enjoy a drink at the cafe until the show opens. (A mini guided tour will be given from 17:00 to 17:30 in Galleries B and C).
17:45 Concert venue opens (Gallery A).
18:00 Concert begins. *There will be a 15-minute intermission.
19:30 Concert ends.
Gallery A, Hara Museum ARC
General 5,000 yen
Hara Museum ARC member and up to one companion 4,000 yen per person
(includes one drink and Hara Museum ARC admission)
* Reservations are required. The fee should be paid on the day of the event (cash only)
* Seating will be unreserved, consisting of cushions on the ground.
* Entrance into the venue will be conducted in order of ticket number.
* Prior to the performance, ticket holders may view the current exhibition at the museum Grasping at Clouds: Selections from the Hara Museum Collection and the Rokuro Hara Collections. A mini tour will be given by the curator in charge of the exhibition. Ticket-holders are free to join.
* Viewing of the current exhibition will not be possible after the end of the concert.
* Drinks will be served before the start of the concert only, and not during the intermission or after the concert.
- Making a Reservation
Please send an email to email@example.com with the following information: “6/11 (Sat) Akira Uchida Concert” on the subject line and your name, contact number (cell phone) and number of reservations desired. If you are a Hara Museum ARC member, please add your membership number. Please contact us if you do not receive an email confirmation within one week.
* Reservations will be closed when the maximum number of participants is reached.
Hara Museum ARC